Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Exception Handling - A lost war of words

[It’s no way related to any technical discussion. Spoilers and Techno geeks - please stay away from here!!]


What a relativity aficionado, I am!! I love comparing things and their relative nature and was so much sure for no absolute that I postulated my own laws (don’t worry these are just for my own conscience and are not patented :D). I debated people many times n prove them wrong for clinging strictly to absolution. I was so happy with my generalizations that I get berserk whenever anyone opines differently.
It happens with a very silly discussion that burst up between me and one of my opponent last night (I hate him
for giving such a close fight every time :D). We were discussing my previous post where I mentioned the comparison between hot and too hot (and thus no absolute definition of being hot), he barked (yes we usually bark during discussions- a bit different from a usual scenario I know) that hot may be different than too hot but we can never call it cold; if it’s a rainy day we won’t go and call it spring whether or not it’s raining heavily. I knew there is no point in fighting back, he was right. You can compare superlatives and comparatives but you can’t do it with antonyms. Well, not in the way I was thinking (I would surly search for the answer, so stay tuned!!). For now, I got my lesson and got one more postulate in my list -

“The only perfect generalization that exists is - you cannot generalize anything.”


Exception is the integral part of any law, any postulate or say any hypothesis.It’s just like, the less exception that it have, the more perfect your idea would be. So, going along with the rest I accept exceptions to my postulates!! (Accepting defeat- yes its an exception to my behavior too).

5 comments:

Ashish said...

Good to know, that you finally accepted and understood my point [Woof Woof].

Mukesh Kothiyal said...

yeah!!(Grrrrrrrrrr...)
nyways as i said i am still searching the right explanation so dont get excited!!
I'll be BACK :-)

Adisha said...

OMG !! I can honestly say, this post went totally and completely over my head :)) NO offense ...

Will give it a few more reads and get back to u

Mukesh Kothiyal said...

mea culpa!!!
i forgt to add d link to d parnt blog: here whr all dis startd(read comments more thn blog itself)...
nyways its nt ur fault, nw u see hw confusd i am with my thoughts..i nd a para-psychiatrist :-))

Siddharth Bose said...

nice post...keep up